Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Post for my Dad for Father's Day

Jennifer has written an open letter to her Dad for Father's Day, listing 10 happy memories of her Dad.  I thought it was such a lovely idea that I felt inspired to do the same.
My dad died in 1983 at the age of 73, but I probably think about him every day.  Here are some of my memories:

Going out with him on his bread round in the three wheeler van

Riding pillion on his motorcycle, and him taking me round the roads near Sandbach to see the subsidence from the salt mines (I was terrified and thought we would fall into a hole in the road)

Walking down to Winterley Pool on a Sunday afternoon and him teaching me the names of the wild flowers

Building me a transistor radio out of a kit

Taking me to Dr Manning's house where he worked in the garden and showing me the bee hives

Buying me my first car on the understanding that I would pay him back when I started earning, but writing off the debt when only partly paid

Going camping and making a portable toilet out of a big plastic container

Walking me down the aisle even though his health was so bad it was a real struggle for him

Never complaining when ill health took its toll in later life

And the most important - taking me at weekends to the teacher training college where he worked as a lab assistant, setting up little experiments for me and so influencing me to take up science  (he was so proud when I qualified as a pharmacist)


Dad had a great interest in early radio and television, and just before he died was teaching himself programming on one of the first home computers.  He didn't live to see the internet.  Here you are Dad, broadcast to the whole world.



11 comments:

Jennifer Jain said...

A lovely post, I'm all teary! Thank you for sharing some of your memories xoxo

twopointfourchildren said...

lovely memories he sounds like a fantastic role model and father xx

Helen said...

Thank you, he was lovely

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful tribute to an obviously hugely respected gentleman.

CJ x

Anna said...

Tears in my eyes too, I wish I could have known him. Thank you for sharing.

Donna@MummyCentral said...

Hi Helen and thanks for linking up.
I remember my Grandad having a three-wheeler.
And isn't it weird to think we can remember a time when there was no internet? How did we get by?!!!
Your Dad sounds lovely. Listing memories like you and Jennifer have makes me wonder which of the things we do with our children will make their list when they're older.

Coombe Mill - Fiona said...

Tear jerking tribute to a Dad who clearly was much loved.

Lucille said...

He sounds like he was a wonderful man, Helen! You have beautiful, one of a kind memories of him!

miss_claireeg said...

What a lovely tribute to your Dad. Xx

More Than a Mum said...

It's amazing what our parents inspire us to achieve. Obviously a much loved man.

Emma@christmascupboard said...

Beautiful post, your Dad sounds so lovely. Brought a tear to my eye x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...